why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



10 June 2018

Friday - NOT a poem

I don’t write every day.  I’m a poet.  But, I almost always write on Fridays.

A wireless speaker sits on top of our refrigerator to broadcast the stereo from the living room.  It usually remains on and when it loses its signal, it beeps.  I won’t say who leaves it on.  I was cleaning up after breakfast on Friday and the beeping began.

It’s difficult for me to reach the top of the refrigerator to turn that thing off, so I decided to move it to the turquoise lateral-file-cabinet-repurposed-storage-kitchen-unit, which I can reach.  It holds small appliances, paper towels, supplies for our outside patio meals, cat food, and other stuff.  Well, when I got on the step stool to declutter the top of the turquoise unit, I decided to just remove everything and really declutter.  Of course, it needed to be dusted and wiped down.  After that and putting the clutter where it belonged, it was time for the top of the refrigerator.

I’m not tall enough to see the top of my refrigerator.  I know it’s dusty up there.  I don’t know about y’all, but it’s easy to ignore, so I do.  Not Friday.  I climbed on the step stool.  Some clutter items were thrown out and some put in their logical storage places.  The top was wiped down.  The sponge was thrown away.  Only a few items necessary for the refrigerator top remained.  Now, both the turquoise storage unit and the top of the refrigerator are clean and tidy, until another day.  So, no, I didn’t write this past Friday.  But, sometimes cleaning and decluttering a portion of the home cleans my cobwebs and organizes my brain.

No comments: