why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



06 July 2019

beyond me

I write in my study, coffee shops, churches, bars, graveyards . . ..  These two stanzas of “beyond me” come from the graveyard:
 
Magnolia’s skirt lies on a meadow lawn
her limbs are not delicate whalebone in a hooped petticoat
they’re like arthritic fingers
some fractured by a lightning strike
dragged to a brush pile
they wait for a match to flame

a cylinder mower whirrs
broadcasted cuttings sprinkle a green fragrance
Willow celebrates snow melt
squirrels dance behind a hard winter tune
Lady Banks adorns a wrought iron gate
in this stone-wrapped graveyard

© Cindy B. Stevens
23 July 2017

#mower #iron #graveyard

Photo credit:  matt-seymour-4Me7b2hUTjU-unsplash

No comments: