why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



24 July 2019

my effort

This poem, “my effort”, is somewhat dark.  I’ll share two stanzas:


is it as easy as shrugging shoulders to plan a death?
your far away eyes
like the dog in the car in the parking lot
he gazes longingly over the backseat
out the rear window

I step from the limousine inside gated gardens
no tears left to wash my face
a raven flits from one monumental angel to another
exhausted with this life
why didn’t you whisper your pain?

© Cindy B. Stevens
28 September 2018

#alone #pain #speak

Photo credit:  kasturi-roy-a1LVsvM_zuE-unsplash

No comments: