why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



09 November 2019

a domestic engineer

Here are three stanzas from “a domestic engineer”, which has been finished for a while and will be in my next collection:

Home-Ec taught that cakes fall
make it perfect
smooth frosting over cracks
slather more over the German chocolate
until it stands prize worthy

I try to escape while I iron
a button-up starched shirt waves its arms
makes demands from the counter
towers over the ironing board
I soothe the yoke
careful to not scorch the starch, I run steam over wrinkles
they scream and hiss

refrigerator tosses salad greens
cork bits float in red wine
supper has done its prep-time when
the train whistles from the driveway
a clatter of boots at the back door
his eyebrows frown below his forehead drawn with lines
I stay for eyes that dare me to leave

© 5 November 2017
Cindy B. Stevens

#domestic #anger #eggshells #AmWriting #BeWriting #BookLove #Bookworm #Dream #IGpoet #IGpoetry #IloveWriting #Inspiration #LoveWriting #Poet #PoetLife #Poetry #PoetryBlog #PoetryLover #Reading #Write #WriterLife #WritersCommunity #WritersCorner #WritersNetwork #WritersOfIG #WritersOfInstagram #Writing #Wordsmith #AmEditing #NC

Photo credit:  jiangxulei1990-eIzzzwtkBjU-unsplash

No comments: