why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



03 November 2019

my daughter; Jessica; infant casket

In May of this year, I posted a few lines from “infant casket”.  It’s been revised and I’m sharing again, preceded with portions of “my daughter” and “Jessica”.  These poems form a trio in my new collection.

One stanza from “my daughter”:

she helps me from the table
hem pins prick my legs
as I leave the room
Mama says
“I hope you have a daughter
just like you”.

© Cindy B. Stevens
23 July 2017


Two stanzas from “Jessica”, which was published in The Phoenix, Issue 60 © 2019, literary journal published annually through Pfeiffer University:

birth pain kidnapped me
but I wouldn’t scream
she emerged
from my cloud
silent

in my dream Jessica’s five years old
she laughs
plays with her angels
tilts her head back
fastens her eyes
on me
two days prior to yesterday


A few lines from “infant casket”:

two men carry a princess through the crowd
she wears her only pink dress
my groundskeeper carries a ladder
hedge clippers
I gaze over my manicured hedge
covet
a wild rose who doesn’t belong to me

© 29 June 2019
Cindy B. Stevens

#Daughter #Death #Funeral #Angels #AmEditing #BeWriting #AmWriting #BookLove #Bookworm #Dream #IloveWriting #LoveWriting #IGpoet #IGpoetry #Poet #Poetry #PoetryBlog #PoetLife #PoetryLover #WriterLife #WritersOfInstagram #WritersOfIG #WritersCommunity #WritersCorner #Wordsmith #WritersNetwork #Write #Writing #Hillsborough #NC

Photo credit:  Cindy B. Stevens

No comments: