why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



01 May 2019

forgive me

I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know when I say it’s hard to watch a loved one die.  I wrote a poem about some of my thoughts after my father’s death.  It’s different from what I usually write.  Here are some snippets from “forgive me”:

you asked was there anything I needed to talk about
before you left

when I was a kid
I waited for you to come home

one time you were gone so long
I forgot what you looked like


I felt alone in that hospital room and you were asleep
I couldn’t ask you to forgive me when I pushed
your morphine button

twenty-one guns sing in your garden
Taps sound

red blood blossoms stain the ground
scattered like lonely regrets

© 17 July 2018
Cindy B. Stevens


#Forgive #Taps #Regret #Morphine#BeWriting #AmWriting #AmEditing #BookLove #Bookworm #BookwormForLife #Dream #IloveWriting #LoveWriting #Inspiration #IGpoet #IGpoetry #Poet #Poetry #PoetryBlog #PoetLife #PoetryLover #WriterLife #WritersOfInstagram #WritersOfIG #WritersCommunity #WritersCorner #Wordsmith #WritersNetwork #Write #Writing #HillsboroughNC

Photo credit:  oziel-gomez-527752-unsplash

No comments: