why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



20 January 2020

I raise my hand

“I raise my hand” was a difficult one to write.  Here are the second and third stanzas:

we sang Just As I Am
the preacher said, “all heads bow, all eyes close”
asked for sinners to raise hands for prayer
I didn’t want to raise mine
I worried somebody would peek
and know
I’m a sinner
 
but I was afraid to not raise it
because the preacher said
that if a sinner left
had an accident
and died
the sinner’d be lost
forever

© 2 March 2019
Cindy B. Stevens

#sinner #afraid #fear #AmWriting #BeWriting #BookLove #Bookworm #Dream #IGpoet #IGpoetry #IloveWriting #Inspiration #LoveWriting #Poet #PoetLife #Poetry #PoetryBlog #PoetryLover #Reading #Write #WriterLife #WritersCommunity #WritersCorner #WritersNetwork #WritersOfIG #WritersOfInstagram #Writing #Wordsmith #AmEditing #NC

Photo credit:  brigitte-tohm-j8C66j15nAk-unsplash

No comments: