why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



25 February 2020

things I think about while comatose

This 14 stanza poem, “things I think about while comatose”, is about things I think about while comatose.  Here are stanzas one, four, six, and thirteen:

a hospital is worse than a bad neighborhood
a hospital is a bad neighborhood
vampires aren’t always devastatingly good looking
I try to bruise my garlic clove heart to keep them away from my blue pipes
they hemorrhage like Susquehanna and Allegheny Rivers bleed into the Bay and Gulf
~~~
I don’t ask my 5th grade bus-stop friend why she shaves her eyebrows
my morning screams wake me
but nobody hears
I see smoke
flames
but nobody sees
the inside of a guitar case resembles a coffin
plush like this bed
I know that fire isn’t real
but it looks really
real
~~~
I sit on a swing
watch the sky electrify the woods
hear air growl
break boulders
when I die
I’ll return
to my baseball cards clothes-pinned to my bicycle spokes
~~~
I still don’t know how long I’ve been here
I should end this
I can’t move
can’t stay
can’t leave
I only breathe

© 2 December 2019
Cindy B. Stevens

#comatose #scream #coffin #AmWriting #BeWriting #BookLove #Bookworm #Dream #IGpoet #IGpoetry #IloveWriting #Inspiration #LoveWriting #Poet #PoetLife #Poetry #PoetryBlog #PoetryLover #Reading #Write #WriterLife #WritersCommunity #WritersCorner #WritersNetwork #WritersOfIG #WritersOfInstagram #Writing #Wordsmith #AmEditing #NC

Photo credit:  ed-pirnak-oGd18f8NLfU-unsplash

No comments: