why write?

I have to write what I hear in my head, what I dream in my sleep, what my bones ache to express.

My poems tell stories of strength, love, regret, disobedience, loss, hope, redemption, and whatever whispers.

—Cindy B. Stevens

Books Available

My first collection of poetry, Naked, is available for $12.00 at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/product/naked-cindy-stevens/


For local readers, books are also available at:

Purple Crow Books in Hillsborough, NC

The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC



19 May 2020

this grief


These lines are from “this grief”, a raw, personal poem:

there’s a grief that leaks from me
my pores squeeze it
it washes my skin
drips off my fingernails

did you ever get over the death of your brothers?
asked a voice in my dream this morning
my daughter
my brothers
these griefs hug my ribs
they’re why I cry

the wind
it’s what makes me hate cold days
the sting
bite
freeze tears on my cheeks
that’s all I have to say about my dead

© 23 June 2019
Cindy B. Stevens

#grief #dead #violent #AmWriting #BeWriting #BookLove #Bookworm #Dream #IGpoet #IGpoetry #IloveWriting #Inspiration #LoveWriting #Poet #PoetLife #Poetry #PoetryBlog #PoetryLover #Reading #Write #WriterLife #WritersCommunity #WritersCorner #WritersNetwork #WritersOfIG #WritersOfInstagram #Writing #Wordsmith #AmEditing #NC

Photo credit:  sam-burriss-zHSX9o2_B7Y-unsplash

No comments: